Monday, March 31, 2008

"chaos can be regarded as very good news"-pema chodron

good morning, friends,
Monday morning-this will be my first full day back.  I am sitting in aforementioned favorite chair with coffee at my side and Ozman cat and Bella dog whirling around me like tornadoes.  They remind me that I have Mrs. Abraham's first graders today.  This class is somewhat like having 25 Ozmans and Bellas, and it is always interesting. As with all children, each one of them is so unique and beautiful in his own way, and they have bright flashing eyes, quick smiles, terrific energy and little patience for dull lessons. There are several who dramatically melt my heart and others who challenge it. Teaching these guys is sort of like trying to keep a bunch of puppies in a shopping bag.
When I read Pema's statement this morning, my mind went to the days after my surgery, with a house full of family, friends in and out, soup cooking just about constantly, meds, pets, doctor appointments, trips to Walgreen's, endless phone calls...a marked change from my solitary life before with everything just so, the books stacked by size next to my chair, the vegetables stashed in ziplocs, the counters clear.  What became clear is that peace and contentment came with relaxing into each day and moment, and my attempts to organize, clear, contain, and control my surroundings brought me only misery.
As teaching again becomes a bigger part of my life, I need to remember to greet chaos with joy! Now, if I can only remember this when I am standing in the middle of the art room this morning watching the tornadoes fly by...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Thank you for the reminder. Enjoy the ride...