Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sunday night-March 16

Today is Annie Lane's birthday. She would be 27 today. Many of you know that there was another little girl before my Annie Elizabeth who was stillborn. I am happy to say that Miss Annie E is here with me tonight and will be accompanying me to work this week as I make my way through my happy reunion at Waukazoo and Sheldon Woods! I will be working mornings only this week, easing back in, with the wonderful Ken Newton taking over for the afternoon shift each day. People, I cannot tell you how hard he has worked to provide the kids with great art experiences, and he has gone way beyond the call of duty for me. Thank you , my friend, for your humor and dedication as well as creative sub plans and art displays of marvelous student work!
The temporary conformer has made me pretty much symmetrical again, and with my glasses I can mingle and go out feeling much less self-conscious. I have gotten used to it for the most part, except for a few minor glitches, the worst of it being that I can't quite close my eye without forcing my lid down. This means that it's hard to get to sleep with that lid a little open...isn't that funny that it would matter? but it does! Also my socket aches a little tonight, so I put my little clear conformer back in for the night. I am getting good at taking the iris conformer in and out and have washed it out a few times.  My socket is still healing, of course, and looks a little grizzly. I guess it takes a full year for the healing to be complete!
I am continuing to log on to Losteye.com, a great website for folks who have monocular vision for one reason or another. Many of these people have struggled for years with glaucoma, infections, cataracts and injuries and I am inspired by their stories, their good humor, positive attitudes, warmth and the amazing wealth of information available on that site.  There are people from all over the world, of all ages (moms are members who have infants with ennucleated eyes) and it is a great support group.
Speaking of support groups (and speaking of speaking!) Annie and I went to a speaker's meeting tonight and heard Mark Vandenbosch talk. He did a great job and you can just tell he is going to be a great preacher once he graduates from Western Sem.  Talk about a story! Mark's pic is back a page or two on my blog...he and Lori have been great and Mark is helping me learn that asking for help won't kill me!
Two mile walk with the dog today in the bright sunshine! Starting to feel like my old self again and looking forward to continued progress. Thanks, all, for your amazing love and support, and I will let you know how it goes tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Claudia!
We are so glad to have you back--even if it's just in the mornings. Taking it slow and easy is a wise thing to do.
Waukazoo is sort of like a stew--when one ingredient is missing, the whole thing falls a little flat. A dash of Claudia is just what we need!
Liesje :)

Anonymous said...

I fully agree with author opinion.